Whether you’re fostering a sense of collaboration and creativity amongst your staff, celebrating a big win or just showing appreciation for all their hard work, a corporate team building event is a great way to change things up a bit and try something new.
So that no one is distracted by email or text messages or just for the change of scenery, consider hosting your next team building activity off-site. At ACU Hotel & Conference Center, our facilities are located on the beautiful and tranquil campus of Arizona Christian University in Glendale, AZ.
What Is Team Building?
There are a variety of definitions for team building, but perhaps the dictionary definition summarizes it best: “the action or process of causing a group of people to work together effectively as a team, especially by means of activities and events designed to increase motivation and promote cooperation.”
What Are The Benefits Of Team-building Events?
First of all, it’s a great morale booster! When you go to the trouble and expense of planning and hosting a team-building event, your staff knows you have an investment in their future success. Some other benefits include the following:
- Foster teamwork, improved communication and the ability to operate cohesively
- Builds trust among coworkers
- Helps to uncover core strengths (and weaknesses) that may not be easily discovered during day-to-day repetitive tasks or activities
Benefits To Hosting Team-building Event At A Conference Center
Besides the obvious change of scenery, there are many other excellent reasons to take your team building event away from the office. Here are a few:
- Get out of your comfort zone. After a while, we get too comfortable in our chairs, at our desks and in our familiar environments. Shake things up to gain a wider perspective.
- Build and strengthen new relationships. If our regular group of office friends isn’t at the team-building event, we’re forced to meet new people. This is often a great thing.
- Increased productivity. Away from ringing phones, emails and instant messages, we can focus our attention more productively.
- It’s a morale booster. An off-site event shows an appreciation for and investment in employees.
Which Rooms At Acu Hotel & Conference Center Are Best For Team-building Activities?
We suggest the Atrium-Barrett, Goldwater and T.C. Rooms. Each of these spaces is configurable for the specific needs of your group.
Examples Of Team-Building Activities
If you’re fresh out of ideas, we’ve got some great ones for you!:
- Scavenger Hunt
- Show and Tell
- Two Truths, One Lie
- Choose a community service to perform
- Work Jeopardy!
- Escape Room
- Penny for Your Thoughts
- Pair Up Game
Common Questions About Team-Building
What is the overall purpose of team-building?
The purpose of team-building is to motivate employees to work as a cohesive group, emphasizing their strengths and working to strengthen their weaknesses. It is a collaborative process and competition is to be discouraged.
Should managers and executives participate in team-building activities?
Yes, they should. In order for team-building activities to be successful, there must be commitment shown to the process from the management team.
Should we cater our team-building event?
It is advisable to offer on-site meals during your team-building event, for several reasons:
- It’s a reinforcement of the company’s commitment to the team-building event
- It keeps the momentum of the team building event going
- Meals are a team-building event in and of themselves